Wednesday, January 23, 2013

There's so much to learn!

After I completed reading the article Online Collaborative Inquiry-Classroom Blogging Ventures and   Multiple Literacies, I felt overwhelmed.  There is so much to learn about technology and how it can be used in the classroom.  The article was rich with examples of working teachers who are navigating and implementing technology in their 21st century classrooms. On my second read through, I picked one such teacher, Karen Lirenman.  As a seasoned teacher, she states  that she is on a "quest to be the best teacher she can be" and how she incorporates technology into her classroom.

I noticed a post about Apple TV(January 10) on her blog.  My school is in the process of implementing Apple TV onto our campus. I have many questions about it. Her post and subsequent comments have sparked even more questions but I feel as if I have a person I can contact for answers to my questions!  The world seems to be getting smaller!

7 comments:

  1. I use Apple TV at home (with my husband's assistance!). I never thought about using it in a classroom! This is a great idea! It is a great product to store and view academic videos and student videos easily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want Karen's email address, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a link to an article that compares Smartboards to AppleTV and shows why AppleTV is a better investment. Since you work with young children, an iPad is a good fit, so the AppleTV sounds like a way to go. http://bit.ly/X0sCnK Let me know if the link is not working. You can send me email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I have one iPad to use in my class. My school is slowly adding tech. tools to the school. Our school has many buildings and currently 2 classrooms in my building have AppleTV. Unfortunately,my room is not one of them. My plan is to work with the teacher that has it in order to "play" with it!

      Delete
  4. Mari Beth if I can help at all with how I'm using Apple TV in my grade one classroom I am more than willing to share. The biggest benefit I've seen with it is the ability to project from any iPad with little trouble. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen! I am so excited that you posted to my blog! This is all so new to me but I love it! As I said to Judy, my classroom is not equipped with AppleTV but one (or maybe 2) classroom in my building has it. My plan is to borrow her room and play with it! Do you have any suggestions for a Kindergarten lesson using AppleTV and the iPad?

      Delete
    2. Mari Beth, first off I am a lot more like you than different. We are both on a learning journey together. :-)

      Apple TV is pretty new to me too. It isn't so much that you need to do a lesson using "Apple TV" as much being able to use the tool to help you do what you're already doing but much better. So for example if you have an app you want to introduce to your students - Apple TV allows you to do that on the big screen so everyone can see what you're doing with it. Maybe you want them to show some type of learning via a digital drawing on an iPad. In the share part of the lesson instead of passing around iPads, you can use Apple TV with each iPad, one at a time, and have their drawings displayed on the big screen. Or maybe, you have a you tube video you want to share, you can use Apple TV to have it project from you iPad directly onto the big screen. IF these ideas don't work for you please feel free to get in contact with me. I'm not always back checking comments that I leave (I tend to visit a lot of different blogs and try to leave comments as often as I can) but you can always find me on twitter at @klirenman. If you're not on twitter I highly recommend you sign up. Or, I also received an e-mail about any comment left on my professional blog.

      Delete